By >Tom LESKIN
Droid Charge, Verizon’s second 4G LTE phone coming April 28
If Verizon‘s HTC Thunderbolt wasn’t enough, another 4G LTE phone is joining Verizon’s DROID family April 28, the Samsung Droid Charge.
This powerful smartphone will feature a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus display, 1GHz application processor, a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera, mobile hotspot for up to 10 wifi-connected devices over 4G or up to five devices over 3G, and of course the ability to use high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.
With lots of Android phones starting to get updates to Gingerbread, all this power is still only shipping with Android 2.2 (Froyo), so hopefully it gets a quick update. It will be available April 28 for $299 with a new contract.
The Droid Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touch screen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The Droid Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8 megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.
- 4G LTE– customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
- Android 2.2 platform – With support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 150,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
- Adobe® Flash® Player compatible
- Mobile Hotspot capability – share 4G connection with up to 10 WiFi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
- Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
- Virtual QWERTY Keyboard featuring Swype Technology
Pricing and data plans:
- The Droid Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Droid Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
Find the DROID Charge
Beginning April 21, anyone over the age of 18 can participate in an exclusive Droid Charge Scavenger Hunt. Follow the online clues to find hidden locations in 16 different cities to win a Droid Charge by Samsung. For additional information about the DROID Charge scavenger hunt, visit: http://twitter.com/droidlanding.