Published on June 6th,2006 at 7:24 AM
By >Daimaou - G.G-B

HDTV: Vaio UX50 vs UX90

After the huge success of our first HD video of the UX and various messages in our forum and in our mailbox, we have decided to shoot some other videos and reply to your questions and requests.

Today’s video is about 9 minutes long, and we’ll do some comparison tests between an UX50 (1GHhz, 512MB of RAM and a 30GB HDD with an OS installed by GeekStuff4U.com) and an UX90 (1.2GHz, 512MB of RAM and a 30GB HDD with an OS installed by Sony). As you can see, it’s quite an amusing comparison, and the most powerful device is not necessarily the fastest booting device! Just look at the video and you’ll understand!

When it comes to the keyboard, don’t expect a keyboard like on a regular laptop. The keys are fine… for an email, an URL and Messenger for example, but don’t expect to write a novel on it. When it comes to performance, you should really opt for the 1.2Ghz version, and it’s available here on GeekStuff4U.com, it’s really worth the few bucks more than the 1.0Ghz.

We’ll publish another video in the very near future.

FLASH VIDEO START HERE

FLASH VIDEO END HERE

Sony VAIO UX video V2.0
(WMV9HD 720p Torrent “right click, save-as”)

Note: the Torrent file now works… Sorry for that !

Category Laptops

Related Articles

Vitas DM-750 Premium GPS and DMB

Computex 2006 Live from Akihabara News

Comments

• okinawatyphoon

Would it be possible for akihabara news to make a guide to reformatting the UX and installing a clean ENGLISH windows XP? The latest HD video talked about it, but since the UX is a vaio, there are extra utilities to install and it would be nice if akihabara news could create a guide on how to do this. Thanks so much for the great video of the UX!

• jcpb

Yeah, it would be very helpful to get the initial install process going on the UX50.

• Daimaou

Sorry Guys but we do that with all MS OPK Tools… cannot really help here

• okinawatyphoon

Daimaou, thanks for your help, but do you think the backup english utilities for the UX (for the UX180P on the American Sony website) would work on the UX50? That is what I am thinking of doing to get some english on there without changing the OS to english completely.

I was able to play with the UX50 today, but it was behind these metal protectors so I couldn’t get a good feel for it, but I do agree that the keyboard is not the best. I still think I may buy it though.

okinawatyphoon said:

I tried But won’t work, Sony make sure to prevent from this

• okinawatyphoon

Ok I think I will just stick with the Japanese XP then. I know a bit of Japanese but I am just more comfortable with English.

This is probably a silly question, but with a Japanese operating system, it does not stop you from installing english versions of programs does it? I mean XP is just XP, no matter what the language, right? Because I would like to install english MSN messenger, windows media player, etc.

okinawatyphoon said:

no problem there, but wait for Vista since it is Language Free

• okinawatyphoon

One more question for today (you’ve been so helpful Daimaou!!). Is there a way to connect the UX50 to another computer to sync it? Do you know how?

okinawatyphoon said:

Well I am thinking of several options

Outlook or Outlook Xpress

Files

These are the BEST soft ever, I was using them before getting SBS.

But you will need to either plug your 2 PC togheter thanks to a network, OR a USB Key

• BrunoT

There may be an easier way – use ActiveSync for Outlook and FolderShare for files

Bruno

Daimaou said:
    okinawatyphoon said:

Well I am thinking of several options

Outlook or Outlook Xpress

Files

These are the BEST soft ever, I was using them before getting SBS.

• blackshield09

Thanks for the great video. The video quality was also good. Seeing all of those programs in the Start menu show up on the UX90 started to annoy me when I thought about how much time I would have to spend just to uninstall them before I could start using it.

• bmn

Does the torrent link work for anyone? I get a file not found message.

Thanks!

bmn said:
    Does the torrent link work for anyone? I get a file not found message.

Thanks!

Sorry I just fixed it, it is now working !

• rsuplido

I just got my UX50 today. Here are the unboxing pics:

rsuplido said:
    I just got my UX50 today. Here are the unboxing pics:

One thing for sure that Dynamism offer poor quality for packaging… your UX Boxes is bump everywhere

• rsuplido

Everything inside was fine however.

At least they’ve installed all the english drivers and utilities already.

• okinawatyphoon

Daimaou,
    Although the UX50 has a maximum ram of 512MB (as does the samsung Q1), would it be possible to manually open up the UX50 and replace the 512MB ram with a 1GB ram? Someone upgraded the ram on the Q1, and here’s the website with pictures.

• ofiaich

Hi!

this is my first post here! I am thinking of buying the UX50 when I go to Japan in August. that is unless I find something better.

I can speak and read/write Japanese but I am never fluent! So I am wondering what needs to be done to change the OS to UK Windows XP.

Is there a CD player that is supplied with the UX50?

How exactly is new software added? For example I might want to put some of my software JWP etc…

I am also wondering what other small devices are available. I read about the Samsung Q1.

My need is to be able to be able to send email in Japanese and also read replies in Japanese.

I currently use a Tungsten T3 with a Sony Ericsson 802se ( unlocked ) but the T3 battery is loosing power too quickly.

I am also aware of 3G Symbian phones such as Sony Ericsson M600I, W950 and P990 but I am doubtful that these can have Japanese input software added.

I also know the Hermes, Windows Mobile 5 is coming soon, and installing Japanese seems to be quite tricky!!

The UX50 would give me WiFi and also I think I can use my Sharp 902 as a GPRS modem.

Any advice is much appreciated !

Ofiaich

okinawatyphoon said:
    Daimaou,

Well I am not sure here, and I am scare that the module memory is something not common like on the previous U and on the Sharp CV50 for ie.

But I heard that a 1GB UX could arrive…?!?!? Fake or not I am not sure

ofiaich said:
    Hi!

Is there a CD player that is supplied with the UX50?

Any advice is much appreciated !

Ofiaich

Well Hard to reply to all your question but

1) No CD Drive provided with the UX
    2) Installing Japanese on a Windows Mobile is very easy, I wrote a long time ago how to do that on all Pocket PC but now there is even better

• ofiaich

thanks for your reply and links Daimaou!

I know I got a lot of reading to do, but I think the UX-50 or similar devices will meet my needs!

I understand about changing the OS on a Windows Mobile…

but how do you add software or change the OS of the Sony UX-50?

I can’t see how it’s done, unless you have a CD player to load from..

Ofiaich

• ofiaich

I need a USB cd drive… then …..

using a usb cd drive, change boot sequence so it boots from cd before hd and then just put ur os disc in it

Ofiaich

ofiaich said:
    I need a USB cd drive… then …..

Ofiaich

that is the spirit indeed but the boot sequence is already in the good order, what you need to change is to ENABLE the external Boot rather then changing the sequence

• ofiaich

thanks for your reply!

I also note " It doesn’t boot from just any USB CD-Rom drive. It only boots from the Sony DVD-RW drive which connects via the iLink port. "

Now to get some prices online from Yamada Denki!!

Ofiaich

• okinawatyphoon
    Daimaou said:
    But I heard that a 1GB UX could arrive…?!?!? Fake or not I am not sure

Do you have any other information regarding this? a 1GB UX would be simply irresistable.

• rustynator

Well…I received my VGN-UX50 the other day and it is great. I have managed to install the English XP (using an iPod to install the OS) along was almost all the necessary software/drivers.

The only thing which I cant seem to get working are the Zoom buttons, Vaio Touch launcher button and the button above the touch launcher (and below the right click button).

Does anyone know how to get these working?

• Jaedalena

I REALLY want a ux180 but i’m not sure if i should spend the loot. but when the time comes i wouldn’t mind buying it from a different country to avoid the Cingular Edge crap in the US. But i’m concerned that having a non-us device might come with extra problems. like what if i buy a device from outside the US will I have to go through the hassle of making sure the ac adapter’s voltage is comparable? The last thing i need to do is buy it and have it short out in the states. Ive been to other countries and they have different outlets and whatnot, should i be really concerned or should i just buy an ac adapter for here in the US and call it a day? (or i could just us an an outlet converter that i have from previous trips…right?) Plus, what’s up with having a compact flash slot on the device when it already takes Memory stick duo/pro? Granted it maybe better than the cingular edge takin up space but does anyone know why both? The Australian version is the UX17GP and since it’s in english i’m thinkin i might get that, but does anyone think it’s worth buying overseas?

Jaedalena said:

Well the AUS or Japanese Model (available in 100% US English with QWERTY KeyB from GeekStuff4U.com) will work perfectly in the US, for Japan the AC Adapter is 100-240V (like in AUS i suppose) you will be able to use this PC in the US or in Europe for example. Now understand that if you buy overseas, you must get sure to have a full warranty support. With GeekStuff4U they will take care of your computer for 3 years with a DHL shipment wherever you are.

Really make sure that the PC you will buy will give yuo a full warrnaty support, that is the MOST important thing

• Jaedalena

so what you’re saying is i shouldnt bother buyin somehting like this on ebay huh =/

Jaedalena said:

I Have a terrible experience with eBay and this several times so I will never advise you to do such purchase on eBay. Other people never had any problems but well. Go and order your computer from a reseller, which as a name, address and so on, Geekstuff4U is not the only solution there is of course other e-store but they are part of Akiba and we know how they work and how well you will be treated

• Jaedalena

Well if i were to purchase one on ebay, i’d definitely becareful about it. I bought my clie from ebay once and it worked great for a year then the cradle gave out. 2 years after that the battery and then i dropped it… i felt so horrible… but for an electronic off of ebay i did just fine and it worked well too Hmm.. i bought a minidisc player too that worked. But overall i’ve had a good experience. But you are right, you definitely have to be careful with what you purchase on there.
    thx again

• Jaedalena

So i got my ux180p off of ebay =) which you’re probably thinkin NOoooooo! but actually everything is just perfect. and i got it for the retail price without taxes and a 3 year warranty on top of the 1 yr warranty that it comes with. so i saved myself a good $500 bucks. =D I said i’d be careful

Now my only question now is, what programs can i delete without affecting the ux? From what i remember you cleaned out a ux50 from all the bundled crap and then you had a fairly faster ux. Right now as far as i’m concerned if it’s a "trial" program, i’m deleting it cuz i don’t plan on buying them. (although it was nice of sony to include the super huge streets and trips as a full program cuz otherwise that would have been the first to go. Cool program by the way

Thanks again for all your advice!

Jaedalena said:

Thanks again for all your advice!

Great for you!

Now for cleaning the UX, I will think the other way around… by reinstalling the OS (You have the recovery DVD so in case of big trouble you can restore), On this DVD you have a lot of soft and PAC files Now… with patience and by surfing on the web find out a way to "unzip" these PAC files and envoy

Panasonic - Massager that relaxes your muscles and warms them gently

World's lightest and thinnest circuits pave the way for 'imperceptible electronics'

Panasonic - Smartphone-sized portable full body massager

Nestlé - KitKat - 2013 summer seasonal special flavors

Turn your iPhone 4/4s or 5 into a real pocket camcorder thanks to Donya

Japanese Technology from the Future Friday!

LG - Pink-colored model will be added to Pocket photo

Sharp - Electronic handwriting notebook that can save 2000 pages data

LG - Ultra-wide LCD monitor with a cinematic 21:9 aspect ratio

Panasonic – DMC-XS3 – Slim & classic designed Lumix camera

Panasonic - DMC-FZ70 - Lumix camera with the world's first 60X optical zoom

Japanese Robots: The Seemingly Least Cool Robotics Story of July is a Must-Read!

Sony - α58 - DSLR camera with interchangeable lenses

Thanko - 7.5mm biz card sized portable battery - Increased in battery capacity by 1200mAh over the previous model

JVC Kenwood - ADIXXION "GC-XA2" - dustproof, shockproof, waterproof, low-temperature resistant action camera

NTT docomo - Disney Mobile on docomo F-07E - Disney official smartphone