By >Akihabara News Team
ANADIGICS to provide Galaxy Tab’s power amps
ANADIGICS announced today that they’ve been chosen by Samsung to provide the power amplifiers of the new Galaxy Tab: in the United States, the AWC6323 will go into the Sprint/Verizon Galaxy Tab, and in Korea, the Tab will be equipped with the AWU6601. Both PAs are part of the Anadigics High-Efficiency-at-Low-Power (HELP) portfolio of products targeting 3G devices.
With this move, Samsung and ANADIGICS aim to deliver broadband performance in Galaxy Tabs.
Demonstrating its key role in helping drive the most advanced 3G and 4G mobile devices, ANADIGICS, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANAD) today announced that its power amplifiers have been selected by Samsung for their highly anticipated GALAXY Tab product.
ANADIGICS‘ AWC6323 power amplifier (PA) is used in the Samsung GALAXY Tab offered by Sprint and Verizon Wireless in the United States, and ANADIGICS’ AWU6601 PA powers the Samsung GALAXY Tab in the Korean market. Both PAs are part of the ANADIGICS High-Efficiency-at-Low-Power (HELP™) portfolio of products that enhance the performance and efficiency of 3G devices.
The GALAXY Tab, based on the Android Operating System, is Samsung‘s first tablet computing device and is part of its new portfolio of mobile products. The GALAXY Tab features a 7-inch TFT-LCD display for a wide variety of mobile applications, including watching TV shows and movies, viewing photos, browsing the web, playing games, e-book reading and document sharing. It is also one of the first tablets in the market to have two (front-facing & rear) cameras. ANADIGICS high efficiency PAs help to extend the Tab’s battery life and the user’s mobile broadband experience.
“The Samsung GALAXY Tab is one of the most impressive mobile devices available today. We are honored to play an integral role in helping Samsung deliver exceptional mobile experiences to consumers through this product,” said Mario Rivas, President and CEO for ANADIGICS. “With our industry leading high performing PAs and Samsung’s innovative cutting edge products we continue to strengthen our long-standing relationship by providing high-quality wireless computing solutions.”
Key features of the ANADIGICS PAs utilized by the Samsung GALAXY Tab:
The AWC6323 is the first ANADIGICS HELP3E™ dual-band CDMA PA in a 3 x 5 x 1 mm footprint. Featuring the industry‘s lowest quiescent current for a CDMA power amplifier, the AWC6323 plays an integral role in extending battery life and improving the overall performance of today’s leading mobile devices. The device is manufactured on an advanced InGaP HBT MMIC technology, offering state-of-the-art reliability, temperature stability and ruggedness.
The AWU6601 incorporates ANADIGICS’ HELP3™ technology to provide low power consumption without the need for an external voltage regulator. A “daisy-chainable” directional coupler is integrated in the module, eliminating the need for external couplers thus simplifying the device board layouts. The AWU6601 is also manufactured on InGaP HBT technology and the self-contained 3 x 3 x 1 mm surface mount package incorporates matching networks optimized for output power, efficiency and linearity.
Additional facts and highlights about the AWC6323:
● The AWC6323 is a dual band CDMA PA supporting the Cell (824MHz-849MHz) and PCS (1850MHz-1910MHz) bands.
● The AWC6323 offers three mode states to achieve high-power added efficiencies at several power levels during the phone operation.
● The device features built-in directional couplers for each band with a common coupler port; this helps eliminate the surface mount couplers placed on the phone board.
● It also meets the stringent linearity requirements of CDMA EV-DO Revisions A and B modulations to offer very high data rates for smart phones and data cards.
Additional facts and highlights about the AWU6601:
● The AWU6601 is HSPA compliant and features simple calibration with only two bias modes.
● The device has low quiescent current of 8 mA, low leakage current in shutdown mode at less than 1µA
● It’s optimized for a 50 Ω system.
● The AWU6601 features a RoHS compliant package, 260 °C MSL-3.