By >Akihabara News Team
SoftBank Winter2010 & Spring2011 Press Conference – The Summary
SoftBank Mobile held a large-scale press conference at the Tokyo International Forum just south of Tokyo Station today, in a large three-story, 1,502-seat concert hall packed full of spectators and press. CEO Masayoshi Son opened with a nice pie chart, 80% colored in silver and labeled “iPhone”, before focusing everybody’s attention on the remaining 20% – now dominated by NTT Docomo’s Sony Ericsson Xperia and KDDI’s Sharp IS01. All of SoftBank’s new Android offerings, Son said, will come straight out of the box with Android 2.2, and after extolling the virtues of the new version of Google’s operating system (“much more than simply a 0.1 increment from Android 2.1,” he repeated a few times), announced the following six new smartphones:
Galapagos smartphones from Sharp, similar to the two e-readers announced by Sharp in September, but with cell phone features and a 3D screen (no glasses!).
The successor to HTC’s Desire smartphone, which was great in its own right, with a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU, Dolby Mobile (a first for a Japanese smartphone), an 8-megapixel camera and two-LED flash!
Dell’s Streak, the 5-inch large big-smartphone/small-tablet device, will appear in Japan.
Two “entry-level smartphones” from Huawei and ZTE respectively, which SoftBank seem to intend to position as women-friendly.
SoftBank will bundle several 3D-ready games and movie trailers for the two Galapagos smartphones with the 3D screens, as well as 3D support for UStream streams. Additionally, SoftBank will start a book, video, and music store for the Galapagos smartphones and the Dell Streak, as well as a section on the Android Market populated with apps chosen by SoftBank. Additionally, SoftBank and Zynga, of FarmVille fame (or infame, depending on your point of view) will procreate and give birth to Zynga Japan, which will offer its games on Mixi, the Japanese social networking site. Mixi will also start a “socialphone service”, which apparently integrates Mixi features and updates tightly with SoftBank’s smartphones. Finally, McAfee will start a smartphone virus scan service for Android smartphones.
Waterproof and dustproof camera with a 14.1 megapixel camera capable of 720p high-def video.
What looks like a pretty LUMIX camera from the front, and a slide-keyboard candybar phone from the back? This. 13.2 megapixel CMOS sensor, 3.3-inch screen, and other goodies.
A premium waterproof and dustproof featurephone, with a 9.6-megapixel CCD camera and 3.4-inch touchscreen. Also available as a Paul & Joe collaborative model, with adorable kitties adorning the cover of the phone (as well as the wallpaper).
IIX. Samsung AQUA STYLE 001SC
A rather dull offering from Samsung which doesn’t even support one-seg (unlike some of their previous featurephones), with quiet designs on the cover.
Third in the series of PANTONE phones from Sharp is this series of pastel-colored flip phones, this time around lacking Cameron Diaz’ beautiful presence: instead, the dad from the SoftBank commercials (the white dog) appear on the home screen and on the included cell phone charm.
A small crime-prevention buzzer for children with just one button that connects to one phone number, with a GPS chip that parents can track. From ZTE.
A new model of the cell-connected digital photo frame, to which you can send photos from cell phones using MMS. This 7-inch model has four times more memory than its predecessor. From Huawei.
New models of 3G modems for computers. The 007Z and 005HW will be capable of using the new DC-HSDPA network announced by Softbank today.