Published on July 1st,2010 at 2:08 PM
By >Daimaou - G.G-B

Toshiba and Intel Jointly launch the CM1, a Tablet PC for Education

Man this would have really change the way looked at education when I was a kid if my school were carrying something like Toshiba CM1. Being the child of Intel and Toshiba Engineers, the CM1 is the Toshiba’s first dedicated tablet made for students from all age. Powered by an Intel N450 ATOM CPU, our CM1 comes with 10.1” touch LCD with a 1366×768 resolution, 2GB of RAM, 160GB of HDD, WiFi and weight 1.8kg. Schedule to be launch in the begging of August and in Japan only the CM1 offer a simple but rugged design to suffer the worst atrocity at school, and I know what I am talking about!

Tokyo, Japan – July 1, 2010 – Toshiba Corporation (“Toshiba”) and Intel KK (“Intel”) announced today that they will jointly commercialize an educational-use tablet PC designed to facilitate learning in compulsory education. Toshiba will launch the new CM1 tablet PC for educational use in the beginning of August, 2010 in the Japanese market. Going forward, the two companies plan to collaborate in various ways to foster ICT environments in schools.

The CM1 has been specially developed to be commercialized for educational purposes by Intel, which promotes ICT education on a global basis, and by Toshiba, which has technologies and expertise for notebook PCs. The monitor rotates 180 degrees and has a touch screen LCD that supports pen input, allowing students to practice handwriting. The PC also has a handle to make it easy to carry around at school.

With the launch of their new product, Toshiba and Intel plan to promote ICT-supported education in elementary and junior high schools. Intel will use the CM1 tablet PC for its educational programs and demonstrations at schools, for example, to foster such ICT environments.

Background of New Product
In recent years, PCs and electronic blackboards have been introduced in elementary and junior high schools to help students take advantage of ICT for enhanced learning. The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications has set out a policy of providing digital textbooks for all elementary and junior high school students by 2015, so the use of ICT in the education field is expected to increase. In response, Toshiba and Intel have decided to jointly commercialize their tablet PC for education and collaborate on developing ICT environments in the expanding educational field.

Outline of New Product: CM1, available from beginning of August (open pricing)
The CM1 tablet PC for education is based on Intel® Learning Series hardware reference design for developing education-use PCs worldwide and Toshiba’s notebook PC technologies, such as robust, shock-resistant designs and low power consumption. The new PC’s form factor includes a monitor that rotates 180 degrees, a touch screen LCD supporting pen input and a slip-resistant rubber coating for use on school desktops. The CM1 connects with electronic blackboards and projectors wirelessly to enable students both to collaborate and present work. In addition, a handle makes it easy to carry the PC around school.

Via Toshiba
Category Laptops

Toshiba and Intel Jointly launch the CM1, a Tablet PC for EducationToshiba and Intel Jointly launch the CM1, a Tablet PC for EducationToshiba and Intel Jointly launch the CM1, a Tablet PC for EducationToshiba and Intel Jointly launch the CM1, a Tablet PC for Education