By >Akihabara News Team
iPhone OS 4 unveiled, Wrap-up
iPhone OS 4 was unveiled yesterday in a ‘Developer Preview’ event with various new features introduced, including the long-awaited “Multitasking” function.
Before we go ahead providing you with a wrap-up of all the info that is available, let’s start with informing you that it will be available for iPhone and iPod Touch this summer, whereas for iPad we will have to wait until Fall. Another important notice is that this OS will work with its full features only with iPhone 3Gs and the nex gen iPod Touch. While iPhone 3G, original iPhone and the older iPod Touch models will be able to download it, they won’t be able to support some features including Multitasking.
Here are the main highlights of the iPhone OS 4 Preview:
1) Multitasking: Once you double press the home button, an application dock composed of the recently used apps will show up. You will be able to switch among them whenever you want. So just as it sounds, it is not the exact same type of multitasking you get on your desktop but it is rather multitasking-on-a-smartphone version. Here is an introductory video of how Multitasking works on iPhone to give you a better idea:
2) Folders: Instead of having pages and pages of icons, you will be able to keep as many apps as you want in Folders. No more mess-up, no more toil, simple and neat.
3) Merged Inbox: Finally you can have a unified inbox, switch between inboxes, sync to more than one exchange accounts, in-app attachment viewing and so on.
4) iBooks: Import from iPad. Made available on iPhone and iPod Touch. Wireless synchronizing of books between platforms.
5) iAd: Mbile ads appearing in the form of apps with rich media such as videos.
6) SDK Beta available: iPhone software development kit (SDK) Beta is available for developers over the iPhone Dev Center.
7) Game Center: A.k.a Social Gaming Network. Akin to Xbox Live type of games, casual and multiplayer.
8 ) iPhone Spotlight: Web and Wikipedia search directly from iPhone Spotlight
9) 5x digital zoom
10) Bluetooth keyboard support
11) Wallpaper of your choice
If you would like to watch the keynote speech of Steve Jobs, jump on the link: Apple events
You can refer to these links for reference and details:
For comparision of iPhone OS 4 with iPhone OS 3.1.3, Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile 6.5.3: