By >Akihabara News Team
Olympus PEN series new E-PL1 compact camera, “a consumer-friendly multimedia package”
E-PL1 boasts having HD video recording, 12MP sensor and interchangeable sensor and more in one compact body (4.51″ W x 2.84″ H x 1.63″ D & 10.4-ounce). It is promoted as being consumer friendly both price-wise ($599,99) and usage-wise (light body, easy interface).
It is scheduled to be available in March 2010.
OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1 (from left: White / Champagne Gold / Black) with M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
The OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1 is the third model in the OLYMPUS PEN series of Micro Four Thirds System interchangeable lens digital cameras. It’s predecessors, the OLYMPUS PEN E-P1 and E-P2, introduced last year, were widely acclaimed for their light, compact form, distinctive design, and superior image quality.
Featuring a new interface specifically designed to be more friendly to compact camera users, the new E-PL1 is an entry-level model that makes PEN series photographic quality accessible to an even wider range of consumers than before.
In addition to delivering high-quality photos with full-auto ease, the E-PL1 features a new Live Guide interface that makes it easy for users to exercise their creativity. With the Live Guide, even users who have only used point-and-shoot cameras can easily and intuitively adjust brightness, hue, background defocusing, and other image parameters—and get the results they want without learning a lot of SLR-class photographic techniques.
Light, compact, Micro Four Thirds System design and a built-in flash assure an easy transition for first-time interchangeable lens camera users. A choice of white, champagne gold, and black body colors are also being offered to suit a broader range of customer preferences.
New features include a dedicated Movie mode button that enables 720p HD movie recording at a moment’s notice, and i-ENHENCE Picture mode (originally introduced on the E-P2), which delivers images with exceptional clarity and heightened realism that fully communicate the excitement of the moment. Six Art Filters are also offered, including a new Gentle Sepia filter, and they can be applied to movies as well as still-image shooting. Like the E-P2, the E-PL1 is equipped with an accessory port that can be used to attach a high-definition VF-2 Live Viewfinder or SEMA-1 Stereo Microphone Set 1.
For imaging, a 4/3-inch, 12.3-megapixel high speed Live MOS Sensor and TruePic V image processing engine assure quality that rivals that of advanced digital SLR systems.
Moving forward, Olympus will continue to expand its Micro Four Thirds System product lineup, and the growing market that it serves.
• 4/3-inch, 12.3-megapixel high-speed Live MOS image sensor and TruePic V image processing engine for high-quality, SLR-class imaging
• Large, easy-to-operate controls with a high degree of customizability
• i-ENHENCE Picture mode for clear imaging with a heightened sense of realism
• In-camera image stabilization that supports a wide range of lenses
• One-touch Enlarge button for easy detail confirmation in Live View
• Wide-area AF for easier framing and focusing
• Multi-exposure function with simultaneous LCD monitor display
• Supports high-quality VF-2 Live Viewfinder and SEMA-1 Stereo Microphone Set
• Choice of 4 aspect ratios to suit users’ creative objectives and display format preferences
• HDMI output for high-quality image and movie playback
• Multi-Mix Slideshow playback with background music
• e-Portrait function for smooth rendering of skin texture
• MF Assist function for manual focusing with auto image magnification
• High-precision 324-zone evaluative metering system
• Proven dust reduction system for worry-free lens changes
• Continuous-tracking AF that locks onto subject and tracks movement in the frame
• Shadow Adjustment Control function for balanced exposure of foreground subjects and background scenery
• Gradation Auto to prevent blown highlights and blocked-in shadows
• New image browsing and organizing software [ib]