Published on August 29th,2011 at 6:15 AM
By >Tom LESKIN

Google and AP offering $20,000 scholarships to aspiring tech journalists

I know that here at Akihabara News people often complain of numerous spelling and grammar errors since not all of us are native English speakers or have a journalism background, although those of us that are try to fix the mistakes whenever we can. This brings me to my next point. If you have a love for both technology and journalism, a new partnership between Google and the Associated Press that will be administered by the Online News Association, may be just what you’ve been waiting for.

The AP-Google Journalism and Technology Scholarship will give $20,000 to six undergraduate and graduate students (U.S. citizens only) for the 2012-13 academic year pursuing degrees at the intersection of journalism and technology. It’s aimed at students who have new ideas about news, who have already created original journalistic content with computer science elements, or those who are constantly thinking about new ways to tell stories using technology and new media. It also aims to encompass students from diverse ethnic, gender, and geographic backgrounds.

If your goal is to become a tech journalist and further the ideals of digital journalism, I recommend you check this scholarship out. You need to be currently enrolled as a college sophomore or higher though, with at least one year of full-time coursework remaining. I only wish they would have offered this when I was in college; I graduated from Penn State University over a year ago.

Applications are now open and the deadline is Jan. 27, 2012. Scholars will be chosen sometime in Spring 2012. Check out the press release and source link for more details.

Associated Press, Google Announce Scholarships Open to Aspiring Digital Journalists; ONA to AdministerWASHINGTON, DC–(Marketwire – Aug 15, 2011) – The Associated Press and Google today announced a new national scholarship program intended to foster digital and new media skills in student journalists. The Online News Association, the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists, will administer the program.The AP-Google Journalism and Technology Scholarship program will provide $20,000 scholarships for the 2012-13 academic year to six promising undergraduate or graduate students pursuing or planning to pursue degrees at the intersection of journalism, computer science and new media. The program is targeted to individual students creating innovative projects that further the ideals of digital journalism. A key goal is to promote geographic, gender and ethnic diversity, with an emphasis on rural and urban areas.Applications are now open for the 2012-13 academic year. Scholars will be chosen in spring 2012.”AP has long recognized how important and powerful new digital tools and knowledge can be in the hands of journalists,” said Sue Cross, AP senior vice president for the Americas. “The scholarship program, part of our ongoing relationship with Google, will help build these vital skills in a new generation of journalists.”

“So many students have new ideas for news, and with the right encouragement they will become leaders showcasing what’s possible through digital journalism,” said Nilka Thomas, manager of Global Diversity and Talent Inclusion, Google. “We hope this program with the AP and ONA encourages innovation at the grassroots level while also furthering the opportunities available for women and minorities considering the fields of computing, technology, and journalism.”

Irving Washington, consulting Scholarship Manager for ONA, will manage the application process. Washington is a nonprofit media education consultant who created new partnerships for the scholarship and internship programs for the National Association of Black Journalists, and managed scholarship, fellowship and internship programs as Diversity/Education Coordinator for the Radio-Television Digital News Foundation. He holds degrees in Journalism and Public Relations from Ball State University.

The scholarships are open to college sophomores or higher with at least one year of full-time undergraduate or graduate study remaining. Applicants must submit a project or concept that explains how his or her strategy moves digital journalism forward.

Scholarship winners also will receive a one-year ONA membership and recognition at ONA’s 2012 conference in San Francisco. For details on eligibility and to apply, visit http://ap-google.journalists.org.

“We’re proud to be part of the AP-Google Journalism and Technology Scholarship program,” said ONA Executive Director Jane McDonnell. “Our hope is to shine a light on the hidden treasures in schools across the country — the digital-minded journalists who will be the future of our industry.”

Category Misc