By >Daimaou - G.G-B
QNAP announces a new Firmware upgrade with LION support for its NAS
QNAP announced yesterday the availability of its latest v3.5 firmware for its Turbo NAS series… Among the noteworthy upgrade we have Mac OS X Lion, Antivirus, Windows Live Messenger Notifications and enhanced MyCloudNAS Service.
New & enhanced features of the V3.5 firmware include:
- Mac OS X Lion support: supports file access and Time Machine backup;
- Antivirus: scans the Turbo NAS manually or on recurring schedule and deletes or quarantines files infected by viruses, malware, Trojans, and other malicious threats;
- LDAP client: supports joining in an LDAP server and allowing LDAP domain users to access the NAS;
- Syslog server: supports collecting, parsing, analyzing, and storing system messages from various servers or network devices;
- RADIUS server: provides RAIDIUS-client-enabled devices with centralized account management and authentication for network access;
- ISCSI LUN backup with snapshot: supports backing up iSCSI LUNs to different storage locations, restoring back to The Turbo NAS, or creating a LUN snapshot and mapping it to an iSCSI target;
- External drive encryption: blocks unauthorized access and protects external drives data by encrypting a disk volume or a specific partition;
- Windows Live Messenger notifications: allows the administrator to instantly monitor the NAS status and receive instant notifications on warning and error alerts via Windows Live Messenger;
- Service binding support: provides options to allow or block specific services from predefined network interfaces, including Wi-Fi;
- TFTP server with PXE booting: provides an easy-to-use method for configuration management of network devices, and supports remote network booting of computers for system imaging or recovery;
- Comprehensive Real-time Remote Replication (RTRR) support: the RTRR feature is now available for all Turbo NAS models;
- Upgraded MyCloudNAS Ver 1.1: provides QCloud Access Code for secure access control on publishing the NAS services. The administrator can also manually allow private services to up to 9 users;
- Surveillance Station enhancement: over 50 IP cameras from AXIS, Cicso/Linksys, D-link, iPUX, LevelOne, TRENDNet, and VIVOTEK are now supported;
- Enhanced Router Compatibility: 10 new routers from Apple, ASUS, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, and ZyXEL are newly compatible with auto router configuration.
Firmware V3.5 provides several new security enhancements. New antivirus feature allows the administrator to scan the NAS manually or on a recurring schedule; then delete or quarantine files infected by viruses, malware, Trojans, and other malicious threats. New RADIUS server provides RAIDUS-client-enabled devices with centralized account management and authentication for network access. External drive encryption blocks unauthorized access and protects data on external drives from theft by encrypting a disk volume or a specific partition.
A NAS server that talks! Newly supported Windows® Live Messenger notification sends error and warning alerts to predefined Windows Live account. The administrator is able to receive the current system temperature, disk and volume information by typing inquiry commands on the Windows Live Messenger program.
“We have received many user inquiries regarding support for the newly released Mac OS X Lion operating system,” said Jason Hsu, product manager of QNAP systems, Inc. “We are pleased to be able to satisfy our user’s needs and fully support Lion with the release of the V3.5 firmware.” By upgrading to firmware V3.5, Mac users that have upgraded to Lion will be able to seamlessly store and share files on their Turbo NAS, and back up data to the NAS using Time Machine.
In addition, firmware V3.5 simplifies account and group management in large-scale organizations with LDAP client support, improves service performance and system security with network service binding feature, allowing the administrator to assign network services to specific Ethernet interfaces, and centralizes network log management with syslog server feature.